U14 Softball Information and Rules
- In U14 Softball, players are divided into teams of a minimum of 10 players. There are 9 players on the field. The focus is on further growth in throwing, hitting, infield play, outfield play, and base running. This is an age group of children born between 2007 and 2008.
- An inning is 3 fielding outs or 6 runs.
- Game scores are kept and recorded on the WSWYSA website, and there is 1 umpire.
- a team jersey and a team hat are provided prior to the season.
SCHEDULE & PLAYING SEASON
The softball season begins in very late April, weather permitting. Teams play two games per week, on Monday & Wednesday and usually practice an additional one day per week, at the coach’s discretion. Games do get rained out, and coaches try to schedule make-up games, typically on a weekend. So, some weeks you may play three games, or on unusual nights. Games begin at 7:00 p.m., but coaches want players to arrive 30-60 minutes early for a pre-game warm-up. Typically, U14 games are finished by around 9:00 p.m. Macdonald plays in the Winnipeg South West Youth Softball Association League. The league will finish play by early July with the team’s option to participate in various weekend tournaments and provincials, with the registration fees to be paid by the team.
All of the communities in Macdonald combine to form B-League teams based on age. In 2019, we are trialing a second year of major age and minor age U14 teams, with the goal of having these players form a strong bond and team along with growth and ambition to keep the team together throughout the rest of their minor ball years. The team’s home field(s) may be determined based on where the coach lives, and where the fields are available.
Equipment You Need to Provide
- ball glove
- batting helmet with working chin strap and cage
- official softball bat*
- water bottle labelled with the player’s name
- blue ball pants are preferred but not required; sweatpants or shorts work just fine.
*If you are purchasing a bat, length and weight vary depending on size and strength of the player. Kahunaverse (formerly Home Run Sports), offers 10% off the regular price of bats to players from Macdonald Minor Ball. The staff will help guide you in the direction of best bat size for your child.
SPECIAL PLAYING RULES - U14 "B"
- All games start at 7:00 PM with a 15 minute grace period for late arrivals.
- No game may go beyond 8:45 PM except to finish an inning. Umpire’s decision is final when calling a game for darkness.
- The maximum number of innings is five (5).
- The minimum number of players required to play a game is eight (8).Not in effect in Provincials(must have 9 players). PLAY WITH 7 PLAYERS AND BORROW FROM THE OTHER TEAM
- The defensive team shall consist of a maximum of nine (9) players on the field.
- The "Infield Fly Rule" is in effect.
7.The “Mercy Rule” is in effect as follows: In a controlled game (7) seven innings, the mercy rule is one team up by thirteen (13) runs after 4 1/2 or 5 innings or up by seven (7) runs after 5 1/2 or 6 innings. In a five (5) inning controlled game if one team is up by thirteen (13) runs after 2 1/2 or 3 innings or up by seven (7) runs after 3 1/2 or 4 innings. The game is officially over if this occurs.
- All eligible players will appear on the batting order (whether they are in the field defensively or not). Eg. if 15 players show up for a game, all 15 go on the batting order and bat in turn.
- There is unlimited defensive substitutions, i.e. defensive players can rotate into the game at anytime. Players may be substituted freely without penalty. However, the batting order cannot be changed.
- An offensive inning shall have a maximum of six (6) runs per inning or three (3) outs, whichever comes first.
- In the event a player is injured during the game and is unable to take their turn at bat, the player will be removed from the batting order and out for the balance of the game, unless the player’s coach announces that the player will be able to continue to play prior to the team’s next at bat.
- Pitching distance - 38 ft Baselines - 60 ft
- The dropped third strike rule is in effect.
- Windmill pitching is permitted.
- Pitchers may pitch no more than 3 innings for a 5 inning game. One pitch thrown in an inning constitutes an
inning pitched. In the event that a game goes into extra innings the limitation on innings is waived.
- Pitchers mask is mandatory in U14 and under age categories.
- Players are required to wear a batting helmet, complete with an approved mask when batting and/or running.