U13 Softball Information and Rules
- In U13 Softball, players are divided into teams of a minimum of 10 players. There are 9 players on the field. The focus is on further growth in throwing, hitting, infield play, outfield play, and base running. This is an age group of children who are 13 or under by December 31.
- An inning is 3 fielding outs or 6 runs.
- Game scores are kept and recorded on the WSWYSA website, and there is 1 umpire.
- a team jersey and a team hat are provided prior to the season.
SCHEDULE & PLAYING SEASON
The softball season begins in very late April, weather permitting. Teams play two games per week, on Tuesday & Thursday and usually practice an additional one day per week, at the coach’s discretion. Games do get rained out, and coaches try to schedule make-up games, typically on a weekend. So, some weeks you may play three games, or on unusual nights. Games begin at 7:00 p.m., but coaches want players to arrive 30-60 minutes early for a pre-game warm-up. Typically, U12 games are finished by around 9:00 p.m. Macdonald plays in the Winnipeg South West Youth Softball Association League. The league will finish play by early July with the team’s option to participate in various weekend tournaments and provincials, with the registration fees to be paid by the team.
All of the communities in Macdonald combine to form B-League teams based on the town of residence, and with the goal of forming teams of about equal ability level.
We try to keep players on teams based out of their home town as much as possible. However, most years, a few players are placed on teams hosted in other communities.
Equipment You Need to Provide
- ball glove
- batting helmet with working chin strap and cage
- official softball bat*
- water bottle labelled with the player’s name
- black ball pants are required
*If you are purchasing a bat, length and weight vary depending on size and strength of the player. Kahunaverse (formerly Home Run Sports), offers 10% off the regular price of bats to players from Macdonald Minor Ball. The staff will help guide you in the direction of best bat size for your child.
SPECIAL PLAYING RULES - U13 A
- All games start at 7:00 PM with a 15 minute grace period for late arrivals.
- No game may go beyond 8:30PM except to finish an inning. Umpire’s decision is final when calling a game
- The maximum number of innings is six (6).
- The minimum number of players required to play a game is eight (8). Not in effect in Provincials (must have 9 players). PLAY WITH 7 PLAYERS AND BORROW FROM THE OTHER TEAM
- The defensive team shall consist of a maximum of nine (9) players on the field.
- The "Infield Fly Rule" is in effect.
- All players will appear on the batting order (whether they are in the field defensively or not). Eg. if 15 players show up for a game, all 15 go on the batting order and bat in turn.
- An offensive inning shall have a maximum of six runs per inning or three (3) outs, whichever comes first. Not in effect in Playoffs or Provincials.
- The "Mercy Rule" is in effect as follows: In a five (5) inning controlled game if one team is up by thirteen (13) runs after 2 1/2 or 3 innings or up by seven (7) runs after 3 1/2 or 4 innings. The game is officially over if this occurs.
- There is unlimited defensive substitutions, i.e. defensive players can rotate into the game at any time. However, the batting order cannot be changed.
- Pitching distance - 38 ft Baselines - 55 ft
- On a dropped third strike, the batter is out and the ball is alive (runners may advance at the risk of being
- The maximum number of innings a pitcher may pitch is three (3) per game. You must use 3 pitchers per game. With innings pitched being 3,2,1,or 2,2,2. One pitch (legal or illegal) thrown in an inning shall count as an inning pitched.
- Windmill pitching is permitted.
- Players are required to wear a batting helmet, complete with an approved mask when batting and/or
- Pitchers masks mandatory in U12 age categories.
- In the event a player is injured during the game and is unable to take their turn at bat, the player will be removed from the batting order and out for the balance of the game, unless the player’s coach announces that the player will be able to continue to play prior to the team’s next at bat.